Department of epidemiology
RESEARCH AREA OF DEPARTMENT’S WORK:
- comprehensive study of epidemiology and immunology of infections caused by pathogens pathogenic nature (Clostridium, Staphylococcus, blue and festering coli, etc.) and the development of measures for their prevention;
- improve epidemiological surveillance for infections that are controlled by means of immunization (diphtheria, pertussis, rubella, meningococcal infection, tetanus, etc.);
- development of Epidemiology in Ukraine;
- improve information and analytical subsystems of epidemiological surveillance;
- development of the concept of gene parasitism in infectiology;
- modeling and forecasting manifestations of epidemic process.
MAIN RESULTS OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH IN 1986-2009:
- performed 7 planned research works; now execute 1 planned research work and 1 research work for the state budget;
- set regularities of the epidemic process and immunological features of anaerobic infections of opportunistic nature in surgical hospitals and developed measures of their prevention;
- suggested new methods and tools for the diagnosis and rehabilitation of carriers of Staphylococcus aureus in hospitals and surgical hospitals;
- developed a cardiogram method for determining sub-disease states of the organism on the basis of which was established prevention method after vaccinal reactions;
- determined causes of diphtheria epidemic in 1991-2001 in Ukraine and on this basis were developed recommended measures to improve epidemiological surveillance;
- established risk group of incidence of diphtheria vaccinated – patients with tonsillitis and nonspecific upper respiratory tract pathology;
- created an experimental model of diphtheria intoxication in immune organisms on the basis of which was proposed pathogenetic mechanism in the incidence of diphtheria vaccinated and immune;
- created mathematical model of the epidemic process of diphtheria and tetanus;
- optimized informational and analytical subsystems of epidemiological surveillance of varicella, meningococcal disease, rubella and pertussis.
PUBLISHING ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF EPIDEMIOLOGY IN 1986-2009:
- received 7 invention patents, 6 patents of foreign countries, 3 patents of Ukraine, 6 bulletins and 7 guidelines of research and practice nature;
- published 293 scientific papers and presented 69 reports at scientific and practical conferences;
- published 2 study guides for conducting workshops on Epidemiology;
- Professor M.M. Kolesnikov in the textbook “EPIDEMIOLOGY” (publishing house “MEDITSYNA”, Moscow, 1986) wrote the Chapter “CLOSTRIDIOSIS”;
- Professor Yu.D. Hots is the co-author of the textbook “EPIDEMIOLOGY” (Kyiv, “ZDOROVYA”, 1998);
- Professor Yu.D. is the co-author of the textbook “EPIDEMIOLOGY and Parasitology” (Kyiv, “ZDOROVYA”, 2000);
- Assistant professor Yu.S. Didovets is the co-author of the textbook “MILITARY TOXICOLOGY, RADIOLOGY AND HEALTH PROTECTION” (Ternopil, “Ukrmedknyha “, 2003);
- published textbook “EPIDEMIOLOGICAL METHOD OF RESEARCH” (Kyiv, NMU, 2003);
- published textbook “EMERGENCY EPIDEMIOLOGY” (Kyiv, NMU, 2004);
- published textbook “EPIDEMIOLOGY” (Kyiv, Publishing House “Askaniya”, 2008);
- published a practical guide “IMMUNOPROPHYLAXIS OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND TAKING PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES” (Kyiv, 2008).
LIST OF METHODOLOGICAL RECOMMENDATIONS
OF THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH OF UKRAINE WITH
PARTICIPATION OF DEPARTMENT STAFF OF EPIDEMIOLOGY:
- Epidemiological surveillance for measles (Guidelines). Compiled by I.P. Kolesnikova, L.M. Chudna, S.I. Bryzhata, T.A. Romanenko, L.O. Kleshchar, T.D. Sharapova – Kyiv, 2005;
- Organization of immunological monitoring of infections, which are controlled by means of specific prophylaxis (diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and measles) (Guidance). Compiled by T.O. Chumachenko, O.B. Kolokolova, L.H. Verezub, M.M Kolesnikov – Kyiv, 2006;
- Diagnosis of the reactions of nonspecific immune defense in children and adolescents (Guidelines). Compiled by S.P. Shkliar, T.V. Frolova, N.V. Shliakhova, I.P. Kolesnikova, O.M. Bilovol, O.V. Okhapkina – Kyiv, 2006;
- Epidemiological surveillance for pertussis (Guidelines). Compiled by T.A. Romanenko, I.P. Kolesnikova, T.A. Belomerya, O.M. Semeniuk – Kyiv, 2009.
PREPARATION OF ACADEMIC AND TEACHING STAFF AT THE DEPARTMENT OF EPIDEMIOLOGY IN 1986-2009:
- staff of the department defended: 1 Doctor and 5 Candidate’s dissertations. Now they carry out: 1 Doctoral and 3 Candidate’s dissertations;
- under the direction of Professors of the Department external doctorate students defended: 4 Candidate’s dissertations. Now they carry out: 1 Doctoral and 2 Candidate’s dissertations.
LIST OF DISSERTATIONS, DEFENDED BY EMPLOYEES OF THE DEPARTMENT
OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND EXTERNAL DOCTORATE STUDENTS FOR 2002-2009:
- Lyudmyla A. Ustinova. Determination of the effectiveness of preventive measures against diphtheria and improving epidemiological surveillance of this infection in the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Medical Sciences (2002);
- Hennadiy A. Mokhort. Manifestations of the epidemic process of diphtheria in modern terms and ways of improving epidemiological surveillance. Dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Medical Sciences (2003);
- Tetiana V. Petrusevych. Causes of diphtheria in vaccinated people. Manifestations of epidemic process of diphtheria in modern terms and ways of improving epidemiological surveillance. Dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Medical Sciences (2004);
- Maryna M. Maksymchuk. Flare incidence of botulism in Ukraine and methods of its prevention (2006);
- Tamara A. Romanenko. Improving system of epidemiological surveillance for measles at the stage of elimination of this infection (2006);
- Olena V. Zublenko. Epidemiological characteristics of varicella in Ukraine and its vaccinal prevention (2007);
- Ksenia V. Pavlyna. Features of epidemic process of rubella infection in Ukraine in terms of vaccination (2009).