Department of Surgery №4
The important component in activity of departments at NMU is the scientific research work. The peculiarity for scientific interests of department was stipulated by specificity of its orientation (profile), which anticipates teaching not only classical sections of abdominal surgery but the advanced study of issues in cardiovascular and thoracal surgery. The main attention was paid to development of methods on surgical treatment of diseases in aorta and great vessels, brachiocephalic arteries, modern technologies in plastic and reconstructive surgery, algorithm on diagnostics for treatment of peritonitis, intestine blockage; development of methods on treatment and prevention of diseases in organs of biliopancreaticoduodenal region, gastrointestinal bleeding, abdominal hernia, surgery of blood disorders. The newest technologies of cellular medicine in treatment of critic ischemia of lower extremities are implemented. It is not the full list of issues, which were developed at department during recent years.
During that time the employees of department performed researches within 7 scientific research initiative searching SRW and 4 topics due to state order.
SRW, which were made due to state order:
- Development and grounding the methods for surgical treatment of patients with chronic pancreatitis with preservation of functional state of pancreas.
- “Optimization in treatment and rehabilitation of patients with acute myocardial infarction through development and implementation of complex prevention of its early and late complications”, state registration No 010U001801 (2009-2011)
- “Development and grounding the methods for surgical treatment of patients with atherosclerosis of aorta, brachiocephalic and coronary arteries”, state registration No 00 U 12925 (2010-2012)
Development of new medical technologies in treatment of patients with chronic critical ischemia of lower extremities 2011-2013.
Initiative searching SRW:
- “Individualization of modern technologies in plastic and reconstructive surgery” (1997-2002);
- “Optimization in methods for surgical treatment of cosmetic defects on the head, body, extremities” (2002-2006);
- “Innovations in plastic and reconstructive surgery” (2007-2008);
- “Development of methods for diagnostics and complex treatment of pathology of the heart, great vessels, brain and lower extremities” (2001-2003);
- “Study on reasons for unsatisfactory results from surgical treatment of complicated cholecystitis and development of ways to improve the results from operation in the nearest and farthest periods” (1999-2001);
- “Complex therapy and prevention of gastrointestinal bleeding with erosive ulcerous etiology in patients with ischemic heart disease” (2006-2007)
- Development and implementation of methods for prevention, diagnostics and complex treatment of thrombosis in great venous vessels of lower extremities and thromboembolism of pulmonary artery branches and their consequences.
Now the sphere of scientific interests at department covers the issues on surgery of the heart and vessels, abdominal cavity organs, blood disorders, plastic and reconstructive surgery. The scientific topics are developed.
The great attention is paid to developments of modern technologies in plastic and reconstructive surgery. The experimental work within scientific searching topics of department is being made. The cooperation with Caroline institute ( Stockholm, Sweden) and “Polytech” company ( Germany) is actively developed.
The employees at department within developed SRW defended 3 doctor’s and 19 candidate’s dissertations: Doctor’s dissertations are:
- V.V. Khrapash “Surgical treatment of cosmetic defects in the head, body, extremities using supportive and restraint systems of soft tissues”, 2007;
- V.A. Cherniak “Diagnostics and surgical treatment of chronic critical ischemia of lower extremities, combined with multifocal atherosclerosis”, 2008;
- Rodin Yu.V. Clinic, diagnostics and surgical treatment of chronic insufficiency of brain circulation at atherosclerotic stricture formation and sinuosity carotid arteries. 2010.
- Litvinova N.Yu. Surgical treatment of atherosclerotic occlusive stenotic injury of brachiocephalic arteries in patients with accompanying ischemic heart disease , 14.01.04 – cardiovascular surgery, 2005.
- Goyda S.M. Prevention and treatment of postoperative choledocholithiasis , 14.01.03 – surgery, 2005.
- Volyk O.T. Diagnostics and surgical tactics at chronic disorders of duodenal penetrability in patients with chronic calculous cholecystitis. 14.01.03 – surgery, 2006
- Al-Dababseh Islam Mohammad Diagnostics and treatment of patients with chronic critical ischemia of lower extremities (clinical experimental research) 14.01.04 – cardiovascular surgery, 2007.
- Leshchyshyn I.M. Complex treatment and prevention of erosive ulcerous acute gastro-duodenal bleeding in patients with myocardial infarction , 14.01.03 – surgery, 2008.
- Gonza R.V. Surgical treatment of cosmetic defects in lacteal glands, 14.01.03 – surgery, 2008.
- Koshevskyy Yu.I. Diagnostics and treatment of patients with chronic ischemia of lower extremities of III and IV stages, 14.01.03 – surgery,
- Tsema Ye.V. Grounding and assessing the efficiency in minimum invasive methods in treatment of internal hemorrhoid. 14.01.03 – surgery, 2009.
- Patlazhan G.I. Surgical treatment of complications in correction of lacteal glands, performed using injections of polyacrylamide gel, 14.01.03. – surgery, 2010.
- Koval B.M. Diagnostics and surgical treatment of chronic critical ischemia of lower extremities in patients with diabetes mellitus , 14.01.03 – surgery, 2011.
- Myrgorodskyy D.S. Thrombolytic therapy of acute venous thrombosis (experimental clinical research), 14.01.03 – surgery, 2011.
- Malynovska L.B. Prevention of cardiac complications at surgical treatment of patients with chronic ischemia of lower extremities, combined with ischemic heart disease , 14.01.03 – surgery, 2011.
- Sliusarev I.YU. Prevention and treatment of recurrences of cosmetic defects in lacteal glands after performance of aesthetic mammoplasty, 14.01.03 – surgery, 2011.
- Kostromin G.O. Surgical treatment of patients with aneurism of abdominal region of aorta in combination with ischemic heart disease, 14.01.04 – cardiovascular surgery, 2012.
- Kozubovych R.M. Peculiarities for diagnostics and rendering specialized aid to patients with hypocoagulation syndrome in emergency abdominal surgery , 14.01.31. – hematology and transfusiology, 2012.
- Beychuk S.V. Surgical treatment of acute varicothrombophlebitis at prevention of thrombosis in deep veins of lower extremities and thromboembolism of pulmonary artery, 14.01.03. – surgery, 2012.
- Unukovych D.V. Different aspects of breast reconstruction. Confraternal prophylactic mastectomy, postmastectomy radiotherapy, complications after biomaterials injection, Stockholm, 2012.
- Sulik V.V. Diagnostics and surgical treatment of patients with syndrome of spinal artery and extravascular compression , 14.01.04 – cardiovascular surgery, 2013
- Shcherbynin I.M. Minimum invasive resection-drainage operations in complex treatment of lymphedema in extremities, 14.01.03 – surgery, 2012.
The performance of SRW was also accompanied by a wide publication of received results in periodical special editions, monographs, study guides, etc. Thus, during those years the employees of department published 38 textbooks and study guides for medical higher schools of III-IV accreditation levels, according to which students in Ukraine study surgery, 16 monographs, 14 methodological guidelines, 12 brochures and collections of scientific works, 3 informative letters. It should also be mentioned that the department took part in development of three Ukrainian consensus: treatment of patients with varicose vein disease of lower extremities; diagnostics and treatment of patients with chronic critical ischemia of lower extremities, combined with multifocal atherosclerosis; application of antiembolus cava filters for prevention of thromboembolism of pulmonary artery.
So, during existence of department its employees published 16 monographs, 3 volumes of lectures on surgical diseases in two editions, over 658 scientific works, including 369 articles (among them 34 in foreign journals) and 289 theses on actual problems in abdominal, plastic, cardiovascular surgery, 250 reports were made at scientific practical conferences, 105 patents for invention were received, defended 17 candidate’s and 3 doctor’s dissertations.
The receipt of 105 patents of Ukraine for invention may be referred to significant achievements in scientific activity of department.
Patents of department
The scientific achievements of department were described in details at international (72) and Ukrainian (223) scientific forums. The department was the organizer of 17 and co-organizer of more than 50 international scientific practical conferences.
Participation in international conferences
Every year head at department professor V.G. Mishalov acts as an official opponent at presentation of doctor’s and candidate’s dissertations, takes part in three specialized Academic councils on defense of dissertations (Specialized academic council in the Institute of cardiovascular surgery – D 26.555.01; Specialized academic council at P.L. Shupyka National medical academy of postgraduate education – D 26.613.02; Academic council at MHC of Ukraine). On the base of department there is the approbation council on surgery (chairman in approbation council – professor A.O. Burka).
Meeting of specialized academic council at P.L. Shupyka National medical academy of postgraduate education
The employees of clinic and department in 2003 established the Association of vascular and cardiac surgeons in c. Kyiv, which became the founder for one of the most popular scientific journals in Ukraine – “The heart and vessels”. Since 2006 the employees of department also became the heads in the main scientific surgical journal “Surgery of Ukraine”. Both journals are published by 2500 printed copies, are sent free of charge to any specialist, who desire them, and already celebrated its first jubilee. Since 2012 the department of surgery No 4 together with department of pediatric surgery at Shupyka NMAPE issues the journal “Surgery of childhood”
Journals of department
The public organization “Club of plastic surgeons”, established at the initiative of specialists at department that unites the specialists in aesthetic and reconstructive surgery not only from Ukraine but the whole world has actively been working. The great achievements of organization are performances of scientific practical conferences in 2004, 2006, 2008, seminars and master classes, internet communication on disputable questions in plastic surgery.
The employees at department constantly represent the native Bogomolets National medical university and the whole country at international scientific forums, supporting the honor and dignity of Motherland and Alma mater. The close contacts with colleagues from the far and near abroad have been established. The scientific reports were made abroad: in Germany ( Berlin), Australia, Austria, Armenia, Italy, Georgia, Russia ( Moscow, Yaroslavl – in the latter they received the prize “For best report”).