Surgery department Nr. 2
Department of Surgery № 2. After the surgery department Nr. 1, this department is one of the oldest in the university, its clinical and teaching activities started in 1847, when the surgery department for 64 beds was in the Kiev Military Hospital. It became the clinical basis for the department of hospital surgery. Subsequently, the department was given the premises in a newly built surgery building of City Hospital (formerly Oleksandrivska). For many years the department was headed by such prominent surgeons professors as H.Ya.Hyubbenet (1847), Yu.K.Shymanovskyy (1861), M.V. Sklifosovsky (1870), S.P.Kolomnin (1872), O. S.Yatsenko (1875), F.K.Bornhaupt (1883), M.M.Volkovych (1903), O.P.Krymov (1912), O.H.Radziyevskyy (1921), I.P.Korhov ( 1930), and others. Their outstanding clinical, scientific, research and teaching activities are widely used in many surgical textbooks.
The first head of the department of hospital surgery together with clinics was elected in 1847. It was professor H.Ya.Hyubbenet. He graduated from the University of Dorpat. Being a student he showed extraordinary abilities, received a gold medal for his work on fermentation process. In Dorpat he defended his dissertation in 1847 and received his doctorate and it was appointed to the position of the assistant professor at Kyiv University. Then got the intern position in a military hospital where he worked as a surgeon, ophthalmologist. He trained abroad, working with prominent surgeons of the time. He was the first in Kiev who began to apply ophthalmoscopy, he performed the operation as to the lens removing. He studied syphilidology. At the beginning of the Crimean War H.Ya.Hyubbenet with a group of doctors and volunteers from medical students traveled to Sebastopol, where he worked together with Pirogov. In Sevastopol, under his leadership there were operated 3,300 wounded. Nakhimov, Istomin, Totleben asked for his help. Back in Kyiv, he continued to lead the department. From 1860 to 1869 he headed the Kiev Society for the doctors. In 1870-1871 he participated as a volunteer in the Franco-Prussian War. In 1871 H.Ya.Hyubbenet resigned.
In 1861, the University received an outstanding representative of the surgery in the person of Professor Yu.K.Shymanovskyy (1829-1868), who lectured on theoretical and operative surgery. However, in Kiev, he received not entirely favorable conditions for work – he didn’t have clinics, so he was practicing in military hospital. As a scientist Yu.K.Shymanovskyy was exceptionally prolific, he published more than 60 scientific papers. He published a textbook “Operative Surgery” in 3 volumes. He released Atlas of plastic surgery. At the request of Pirogov he revised and published his famous work “Surgical anatomy of the arterial trunks and fascia.” Yu.K.Shymanovskyy proposed a new resection saw, ball forceps, improved the plaster bandage, introduced hand washing before surgery using antiseptic solutions, started to isolate seriously ill patients, practiced washing wounds with a solution of potassium permanganate. Premature death didn’t allow to all the talents.
In the early 70s after the death of Yu.K.Shymanovskyy and the resignation of H.Ya.Hyubbenet for a brief period of time the surgery at Kiev University was only represented by V.O.Karavayev. Therefore, in 1870 the Department of Theoretical Surgery and hospital clinic according to the recommendation of Pirogov and V.O.Karavayev got M.V.Sklifosovsky (1836-1909) who was invited from Odessa. After graduating in 1839r. Moscow University, he worked as head of the surgical department in Odessa. In 1863 at the Kharkov University he defended his thesis “About parametric hematocele” He studied abroad in Virchow, Langenbeck, Nelatona, Simpson. He took part in the Austro-Prussian War. In late 1871 he moved to work in the department of surgery at the St. Petersburg Medical-Surgical Academy. In these circumstances in 1872 the teaching of surgery was given to associate professor S.P.Kolomnin who had been invited from Associate Medical-Surgical Academy S.P.Kolomnin. He was an excellent surgeon and a talented scientist, the author of 33 scientific papers.
Hospital surgical clinics in the years 1876-1877 and in 1882-1883 was led by the associate professor O.S.Yatsenko. He was a talented surgeon and teacher. In 1875 V.O.Karavayev recommended him for the post of extraordinary professor of the department of theoretical surgery. A worthy candidate was elected, but unfortunately he wasn’t approved by the Minister. O.S.Yatsenko’s merits in surgery, in plastic skin, are undeniable. O.S.Yatsenko was the first one who performed in 1870 the skin transplantation by Reverden in order to replace its defects after gunshot wounds. It can’t but mention his great surgical experience. O.S.Yatsenko performed 5000 operations in different clinics and hospitals. Among the operations there were many complicated ones. For example he successfully did the hysterectomy, the pachymeninx removing. He performed the first in Russia gastrotomy with a successful outcome. According to the glorious traditions of Russian surgeons he participated in the Serbo-Turkish War, where he applied antiseptics in the treatment of gunshot wounds.
In 1878 O.H.Rinek was elected to be a department head. In 1864 he graduated from the Medical-Surgical Academy and was left at the department of surgery. From 1867 – MD. In 1876 he took part in the war in Serbia, where he was a senior physician of health unit by O.P.Botkin. After the election of Rinek to the post of the department professor, the clinics expanded to 80 beds in a military hospital. In 1881 after V.O.Karavayev’s retiring from the university he moved to his department as a professor. According to our contemporaries O.H.Rinek as to his operations speed and the agility of their performance overcame many best European surgeons of his century. He left a memory in Kiev, because of using the antiseptics in surgical practice.
In 1883 the Department of Hospital Surgery Clinics was led by Professor F.K.Bornhaupt (1842-1905). He was born in Riga and educated at Dorpat. There in 1867 he became a doctor of medicine. He practiced in St. Petersburg, Pskov province, in the Urals. He was a district physician in the Orenburg province, and a senior physician and surgeon in the Orenburg hospital. In 1877-1878 he worked in the Caucasus hostility theater of operations, then worked at St. Petersburg St. Nicholas Hospital, from where he went to Volkmann’s training for 2 years. In 1882 he was appointed to the post of hospital consultant in Tiflis. In Kiev F.K.Bornhaupt showed his real talent as a teacher, clinician, surgeon. His lectures were distinguished by clarity, in medical activity there were great erudition and experience. I a course of time his value for the University M.M.Volkovych defined as the following: “I have known him through the surgery sunrise. Only with the Bornhaupt’s arrival to Kiev started the quite organized application of antirot method. ” In 1901 F.K.Bornhaupt retired and died in 1905. It should be noted that his scientific and pedagogical activity was not very high, although he published a textbook on surgical pathology and therapy.
In 1903 assistant professor M.M.Volkovych (1858-1928) was elected to the post of the head of the hospital surgery department. After graduating from the Kyiv University he worked as intern of F.K.Bornhaupt. M.M.Volkovych was a brilliant scientist, a surgeon, an excellent clinician, a great teacher. He left behind more than 100 scientific papers. He worked as head of the hospital (until 1912), and faculty (until 1922) surgical clinics. He developed the restoration operations of nose taking the skin from the fingers, closing of cystic and axillary abscesses, knee excision, hemorrhoids. He developed a method of treatment of fractures, offered his own tires, showed new clinical signs in chronic appendicitis, proposed the theory spine curvature, investigated gangrene of the extremities. M.M.Volkovych was one of the founders of Kiev Surgical Research Society and for 20 years was its permanent head. He published works of this society in 5 volumes.
In 1912 the assistant professor of Moscow University O.P.Krymov (1872-1954) was elected to head the Department. During the First World War, he worked as a consultant in hospitals of the South-Western Front. He published his lectures on field military surgery. They reflected the multifaceted experience of wound treating. After the war he continued teaching. He published a monograph “Studies about raptures” where he offered a way to radical surgery of inguinal hernia. He had developed operations in the spermatic cord veins dilatation, an original method of nephropexy. He published a series of papers on gunshot wounds of skull, chest, abdomen, blood vessels, gas infections. In subsequent years O.P.Krymov headed the surgery department.
From 1921 to 1930 O.H.Radziyevskyy (1864-1939) headed the department of hospital surgery. He was a graduate of the Kyiv University, the student of O.H.Rinek. To the department he came being a formed expert and scholar. From 1907 he headed the Department of General Surgery, and Department of Surgery and the Kiev Women’s Medical Institute. O.H.Radziyevskyy was particularly interested in issues of urology. In addition, he developed a way of rectum fixing the rectum in the case of its prolapsus. O.H.Radziyevskyy was an excellent lecturer and attentive doctor. He published about 50 scientific papers, including “About surgery uremia treatment,” “Do the autoneprosilines exist?”, “To the question about the femoral vein bandaging”, “140 cases of prostate gland removing it is hypertrophied” In addition, he offered the access to the anatomical structures of the deep layers of the sciatic area.
From 1930 to 1941 the department was headed by Professor I.P.Korhov (1888 – 1948), the graduate of Kharkov University, the student N.T.Trynkler. At that time the hospital was repaired, it had 100 beds and was equipped with appropriate facilities and equipment. The clinic staff included 2 associate professors and 4 assistants. I.P.Korhov is an author of 55 scientific papers. His proposed segmental novocaine blockade in obliterating endarteritis is still used in the clinic.
In 1944 the medical school returned to Kyiv. The second branch of Institute of Clinical Orthopedics and Traumatology became Clinic Department MD M.Ye.Dudko headed the Department.
In 1962 the post of head of the department was given to Professor M.M.Kovalov, who was a multilateral scientist as to the range of his surgical interests and a graduate of Donetsk surgeon school. Being under M.M.Kovalov’s leadership the clinic staff worked effectively in order to solve the issues concerning the urgent surgery for abdominal diseases, the surgery of peptic ulcer and extrahepatic biliary tract, urolithiasis. Fruitful scientific staff activity affected the composition of scientific personnel. At this department 12 doctoral and 58 master’s theses were defeated, as well as 9 books and 982 scientific papers were published. In 1972 the clinical base and the patient amount were significantly expanded. In surgical wards of City Clinical Hospital № 7 there were created optimal conditions for modern diagnosis and treatment
for surgical patients of many profiles, effective learning process. Clinics started to show the scientific interest in endocrine diseases.
In 1985 and 2006 the department was headed by Honored Scientist of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine, Professor V.M.Korotkyy, a surgeon of general profile, who performed the complicated and unique surgeries on the stomach, pancreas, blood vessels, biliary tract, intestines. Being a department head V.M. Korotkyy made a significant contribution to the development of many scientific fields of surgery. These surgery operations in the cases of liver cysts, portal hypertension, traumas of spleen, pancreas, complicated ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer, acute and chronic pancreatitis, cholelithiasis, pancreatic cancer, acute intestinal obstruction, common forms of peritonitis. These directions were reflected in more than 400 scientific papers, 40 patents for invention, three books, three doctoral and 9 master’s theses. Professor V.M. Korotkyy was the first person who V.M.Korotkyy began to perform surgery for peptic ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer. Today being a department professor prof. V.M.Korotkyy continued to share his surgical experience with young surgeons.
In 2006 the department was headed by Professor B.H.Bezrodnyy. The department successfully uses modern technical equipment, widely implements technology of mini-invasive pathology of biliary tract, spleen and duodenum. Various contingent of surgical patients, qualified surgeons and teachers staff provides the best rates in medical work and training of future surgeries. Annually the department is graduated by 10-15 students. They graduated the intern training and get the surgeon certification.