One of the strategic directions in development of University is to achieve the international standards for training of medical and scientific pedagogical staff and to integrate into European educational and scientific space pursuant to the principles of Bologna Declaration. The international activity of NMU has the multiaspect character and is directed to establish and to develop the international contacts and international cooperation of the institution in scientific practical, educational and other spheres through implementation of organizational events for formation of circle of foreign partners, additional financing sources, establishment of conditions for cooperation with foreign citizens, educational institutes, scientific institutions, international organizations, funds.
The international activity of University is directed to achieve the following purposes:
- to accelerate the integration process of O.O. Bohomolets NMU into international academic space with preservation and further development of scientific improvements and their application in international programs and projects;
- to establish the conditions for further development and wide implementation of principles and standards for Bologna process;
- to consolidate the positions at world and national markets of educational services;
- to provide with the access to the information sources of the best world experience in the sphere of organization of academic, research activity, development of students’ self-government, establishment of efficient interactions with the world achievements in the sphere of medicine and pharmacy, their efficient use in educational scientific activity and practice;
- to involve the University into international educational and scientific research projects;
- to use international resources to implement University educational and scientific research programs.
FORMS OF INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
It is possible to achieve the modern high levels for training of future doctors and pharmacists subject to active international cooperation.
Its main directions are:
- To establish the relations with foreign and international educational and scientific organizations;
- To establish and to implement multi- and bilateral projects in the spheres that are of mutual interest.
- To strive for acknowledgment of NMU abroad through accreditation at state level and membership in famous international unions, associations;
- To train medical staff for foreign countries.
The most efficient forms of international cooperation that are implemented at NMU include:
- Membership in international organizations;
- Development and fulfillment of partner’s bilateral programs for cooperation with foreign universities;
- Conclusion and implementation of Agreements about cooperation;
- Participation in international educational and scientific projects;
- Development and fulfillment of international scientific and educational projects in the sphere of medicine;
- Cooperation with international organizations, embassies of foreign states in Ukraine and diplomatic representations of Ukraine abroad;
- Cooperation with scientific establishments in Europe and in the world;
- Participation in international exhibitions, scientific and educational forums.
- Probation of teachers and students abroad;
- Organization and performance of international seminars, conferences;
- Cooperation with foreign educational agencies as to legalization of documents about medical education, acquired at NMU;
- Participation in nostrification of documents about medical education, acquired abroad;
- Organization of nostrification expertise;
- Training of medical staff for foreign countries.
PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS
NMU widely implements the international cooperation with educational organizations abroad – with European regional bureau of WHO, European public health association, Federation of health care establishments in France, Agency of international development (USA), German service DAAD, Interuniversity center of science and cooperation in Eastern and South-eastern Europe (Italy), which includes 33 universities from 14 countries and with Eastern European network of universities, which consists of 35 universities.
In 2011 University won the fourth competitions of program TEMPUS (Call for Proposal) in consortium of 13 universities and state organizations from 7 countries all over the world with project “Modernization of pre-graduate medical education in countries of Eastern neighborhood”.
Program TEMPUS – Trans -European Mobility Programme for University Studies – is the educational program of European Union, which supports the modernization of system of higher education and establishes the space for cooperation in countries-partners of EU through university projects. The program also directed to compulsory approach of system of higher education in countries-partners to achievements in development of higher education in EU countries and additionally propagates people to people approach. Program TEMPUS, founded in 1990 for maximum balanced cooperation and improvement of system of higher education in EU countries-partners and countries-partners, now covers in total 27 countries in the Western Balkans, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, North Africa and Middle East. Ukraine joined to program TEMPUS in 1993.
Program TEMPUS finances the interuniversity cooperation in the sphere of development and improvement of educational programs, management of universities, interaction of scientists and civil society, partnership of education and business, as well as structural reforms in the sphere of higher education. The project is designed for 3 years; the number of project is 516664-TEMPUS-1-2011-1-UKRTEMPUS-JPCR. The name of project is “Modernization of pre-graduate medical education in countries of Eastern Neighborhood”.
The purpose and tasks of the project are the modernization of pre-graduate medical education in countries of Eastern partnership (Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan) according to the concept and purpose of Bologna process, international standards that lead to integration into European space of higher education; development of integrated pre-graduate model for medical educational program, implementation of the new content, educational and assessment methods in medical schools in countries-partners pursuant to standards of International Association of medical education, World Federation of Medical Education, TUNING/MEDINE until September, 2014; establishment of Training center for teachers in medical schools of countries-partners until September, 2013 and extension of modernized model for medical education in neighboring countries since 2014.
According to the Program for fulfillment of project TEMPUS-MUMEENA on 20, September, 2012 the project coordinator Anna-Maria Reed and financial manager of project Helen Brok (Leeds University) made the working visit to NMU. They met with the rector of University, vice-president in NAMS of Ukraine, academician V.F. Moskalenko. They also had the meeting with the work group of NMU, during which they made the analysis for fulfillment of project at University.
Within the project TEMPUS MUMEENA that is financed under support of European Union, on 26 and 27, November, 2012 on the base of O.O. Bogomolets National medical university they performed the international conference “Intermediate results from project MUMEENA: experience of Georgia, Ukraine and Azerbaijan in implementation of project tasks”. The organizations-members in consortium of medical universities from Great Britain, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine (O.O. Bogomolets NMU, IFNMU) and other concerned parties took part in the conference.
Within the concluded long-term Agreement between NMU and Karolinska Institute (c. Stockholm, Kingdom of Sweden) about joint training of scientific pedagogical staff, 6 graduates from university continue the work on implementation of project for training of educational pedagogical staff as doctoral students under specialties “Pediatrics”, “Endocrine gynecology”, “Plastic surgery”, “Ecological health”, “Facial surgery”, “Endocrine surgery”. In October-December, 2012 the successful public defenses of 3 PhD theses took place (Tur G., Unukovych D., Gruzeva O.).
Within European Union project „Erasmus Mimdus – External Cooperation Window Lot 7” the fruitful cooperation with ten European and ten universities of Ukraine, Moldova and Belarus is continued. The graduates from NMU (4 persons) finished the Doctor’s course at Aristoteles University in Greece under specialties “Hygiene”, “Dentistry” and “Otorhinolaryngology”. The graduate – excellent student at pharmaceutical faculty of NMU Yevgeniia Rybak finished the master’s training and successfully defended the master’s work in biochemistry. Now she is registered at program for training of PhD at M. Plank Institute (Federative Republic of Germany).
The graduate from therapeutic faculty completed the master’s program in “Global health” at Oxford University (Great Britain).
The graduate from therapeutic faculty Mazurenko Olena, who successfully defended the master’s dissertation in global health in Humboldt University (Federative Republic of Germany), entered the Doctor’s course in “Management of health care” at Alabama University in Birmingham (USA).
The assistant at department of pharmacy and industrial technology of medicines Kovalenko E.O. completed the postgraduate professional improvement in proper production, development and international registration of pharmaceutical products on the base of pharmaceutical faculty at Paris Sud University (France).
The joint project on postgraduate training of doctors in the sphere of general surgery is performed between O.O. Bogomolets National medical university and Academic clinic of Westphalia university (c. Munster, Germany). According to Agreement the senior laboratory assistant at department of surgery No 1 Stepanenko O.O. performs the program of one year study.
According to the joint project for training of scientific pedagogical staff with Iasi Institute (Romania) the training of postgraduate student from department of therapeutic dentistry Serhii Palamarchuk lasts.
EXCHANGE OF STUDENTS
NMU implements the program for professional exchanges from International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA). Every year about 30 students of university within bilateral agreements and due to abovementioned program have the summer practice abroad in such countries as Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Denmark, Malta, Poland, Serbia, Turkey, Bulgaria, France, Spain, Switzerland.
As well, every year over 20 foreign students from Great Britain, Latvia, Czech Republic, Montenegro, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Lithuania, Poland, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, France and the USA have the summer practice in clinical departments of NMU.
The international scientific and educational projects in the sphere of medicine and pharmacy are performed at University. During recent 3 years NMU took part in fulfillment of 114 grant scientific research works for the sum of approximately 20 millions hryvna. The scientific grants were performed together with 14 countries all over the world, including Austria, Great Britain, Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, Russia, the USA, France, Switzerland, and Sweden.
The teachers and scientists of NMU are the members in such international organizations: European regional committee of WHO on policy and coordination of Special program for scientific researches, developments and training of scientific staff in the sphere of population reproduction, Constant committee of European regional committee of WHO, AMS of Belarus, AMS of Brazil, RAMS, RAPS, World, European and American society of urologists, World Albert Schweitzer academy of medicine, World academy of pathology, Geographical society in the USA, Danube psychiatric symposium, European Academy of dermatology and venereology (EADV), European academy of epilepsy, European association of public health, European association “Order of dignity”, European association of obstetricians-gynecologists, European association of dialysis and transplantation, European association of cardiologists, European association of cranial facial surgeons, European renal association, European section of molecular liquids, European muscular society, European scientific society of dermatologists, European society of urologists, European physical society, International association of dentists, International society of children’s urologists, International historical club “Planet”, International scientific fund Soros in educational program, New York academy of sciences, Petrovska academy of sciences and arts (Moscow division), Polish academy of medicine, Board of international confederation of rhetoricians of medicine, SFULT, Ukrainian historical society of the USA, Expert council of international biographical center (Cambridge, Great Britain), Association of educational assessment of Europe, Association of medical education in Europe, European neurological society, International academy of informatization, International academy of pathology, Russian academy of education, International academy of sciences in safe ecology of human, International association of dentists, European society of cardiologists, World and European association of neurosurgeons, European society of functional and stereotactic neurosurgeons.
NMU continues cooperating with Interuniversity center of science and cooperation in countries of Eastern and South-Eastern Europe, which includes 33 universities from 14 countries of the world and with East European network of universities, which includes 35 universities.
NMU cooperates with such international educational organizations as Fulbright Program of academic exchanges (USA), Program of international researches and probation on issues of environment and health from Fogarthy Fund (USA), International Development Agency (USA), European association of health care schools, Interuniversity Center of science and cooperation in Eastern and South-Eastern Europe (Italy), European association of public health, East European network of universities (Poland), Association of medical schools in Europe, German service DAAD, European regional bureau of WHO, Federation of health care establishments, Federation of health care sphere, social and medical social sphere, Consortium of European universities, Federation of health care establishments in France La FEHAP.
The work on legalization of documents about education, acquired at NMU, is carried out. Due to requests from MES of Ukraine the nostrification expertise are made and the conclusions about apostle are prepared.
At present moment the cooperation of NMU is made with 101 foreign medical and educational establishments, organization, association, including with 79 foreign educational establishments, such as:
- Azerbaijan medical university;
- JSC “Medical university Astana (Republic of Kazakhstan)”;
- Athens Capodistiran university (Greece);
- Bashkiria state medical university (RF);
- Byelorussian state medical university in c. Minsk (Republic of Belarus);
- Bristol university (Great Britain);
- Bukhara state medical institute (Republic of Uzbekistan);
- Westphalia Wilhelm university (c. Munster, Germany);
- Vilnius university (Lithuania);
- Vitebsk state Order of Friendship of Peoples medical university (Republic of Belarus)
- Voronezh M.M. Burdenko state medical academy (RF)
- Humanitarian academy (Poland);
- Far Eastern state medical university (RF);
- Debrtsen university (Hungary);
- State Nikolaye Testemitsanu university of medicine and pharmacy (Republic of Moldova);
- European academy of allergology and clinical immunology;
- Izhevsk state medical academy (RF);
- Illinois university (USA)’
- Institute of public health (Poland);
- Institute of human ecology and environmental hygiene (Russia);
- Institute of immunology (USA)
- Kazan state medical university (RF);
- Kazakh national S.D. Asfendiyarov national medical university (Kazakhstan);
- Kazakh Order “Token of Respect” SRI of eye diseases (Republic of Kazakhstan);
- Karolinska institute (Sweden);
- Kaunas university of medicine (Lithuania);
- Krasnoyarsk V.F. Voyno-Yasenetskyy state medical university (RF);
- Kuban state medical university (RF);
- Kursk state medical university (RF);
- Lodz medical university (Poland);
- Medical university in c. Varna (Bulgaria);
- Medical faculty of university in c. Maribor (Republic of Slovenia);
- International institute of medical education (USA);
- Moscow I.M. Sechenov medical academy (RF);
- Moscow A.I. Yedokymov state medical dental university (Russia);
- National health care schools (Greece);
- National institute of environment and health (USA)
- Polish academy of medicine;
- Wurzburg university (Germany);
- Alzhbeta oncological institute (Slovakia);
- Perm state pharmaceutical academy (RF);
- Northern state medical university (c. Archangelsk, RF);
- Riasan academician I.P. Pavlov state medical university (RF);
- Samara state medical university (RF);
- Saint Petersburg I.I. Mechnikov state medical academy (RF);
- Saint Petersburg state chemical pharmaceutical academy (RF);
- Albert Schweitzer World academy of medicine (Poland);
- Oxford university (Great Britain);
- Middle East technical university (Turkey);
- Siberian state medical university (RF);
- Stavropol state medical academy (RF);
- Tbilisi state medical university (Georgia);
- Trnava university of health care (Slovakia);
- Alabama university in c. Birmingham (USA);
- Al Masira Al Cobra University (Libya);
- Algarve university (Portugal);
- Aristoteles university (Greece);
- Bologna university (Italy);
- Bordo university (France);
- Ghazi University (Turkey).
- Humboldt university (Germany)
- University de Usto (Spain);
- Semmelweis University in c. Budapest (Hungary);
- Copenhagen university (Denmark);
- Leeds university (Kingdom of Great Britain);
- University in c. Iowa (USA);
- University in c. Bari (Italy);
- Iasi university of medicine and pharmacy (Romania);
- Modena University (Italy);
- Alzhbeta university of health care (Slovakia);
- Rotterdam university (the Netherlands);
- Tuluza university (France);
- Ural state medical academy (RF);
- Center of medical education (Great Britain);
- Center of surgical treatment of adiposity (Long Beach, California, USA);
- Chita state medical academy (RF);
- Yagelon university (Poland)
In order to distribute the best world experience in the sphere of organization of educational, research work, development of students’ self-government, establishment of efficient interrelations with world achievements in the sphere of medicine and pharmacy, their efficient use in educational scientific activity and practice NMU performs the traditional practice for invitation of delegations from leading educational establishments all over the world, official representative of countries-partners.
So, during last year His Highness Extraordinary and Authorized Ambassador of Syrian Arab Republic in Ukraine professor Mohamed Said Akil (23.01.2012), His Highness Extraordinary and Authorized Ambassador of Turkmenistan Mr. Nurberdi Amanmuradovych Amanmuradov (30.01.2012) and foreign delegation of Embassy of Republic of Iraq (11.04.12 and 02.08.2012) made the friendly visits to NMU.
Under assistance of WHO Bureau in Ukraine at University they held the master class from Karolinska institute and NMU “Adverse effects of pharmaceutical products: role of clinical pharmacology in overcoming with discrepancies between theory and practice” (5.04.2012) with participation of coordinator from Karolinska institute professor Tommy Linne.
Together with ERB of WHO, Bureau of WHO in Ukraine, MHC of Ukraine they organized and performed the International scientific practical conference, devoted to World Health Day 2012 with international participation (05-06.04.2012).
Within project TEMPUS MUMEENA, being financed under support of European Union, on 26 and 27, November, 2012 on the base of O.O. Bogomolets National medical university they held the international conference “Intermediate results from project MUMEENA: experience of Georgia, Ukraine and Azerbaijan in implementation of project tasks”. The organizations-members in consortium of medical universities from Great Britain, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine (O.O. Bogomolets NMU, IFNMU) and other concerned parties took part in the conference.
Within the working visit of delegation from Miami University (Florida, USA) on 17.02.12 they discussed the framework agreement about scientific educational cooperation between universities. The specialists from Miami University (Florida, USA) read 2 lectures. The chief facial surgeon at traumatological center Doctor Jesus Homez read the lecture on topic “Traumatology of facial area” and Doctor Alehadro Vivas-Royo on topic “Dental implantation (surgical stage)”.
In fulfillment of Agreement about cooperation between PU “Vitebsk state Order of Friendship of Peoples medical university” and O.O. Bogomolets National medical university since 11 until 13, December, 2012 at department of surgical dentistry and facial surgery of NMU they performed the probation of acting head at department of dentistry of childhood and facial surgery in PU “Vitebsk state Order of Friendship of Peoples medical university” Candidate of Medicine, assistant professor Kabanova A.O.
Besides, the regular meetings of University administration with representatives of diplomatic mission of foreign countries are held.
FOREIGN BUSINESS TRIPS OF EMPLOYEES AND STUDENTS
Every year over 100 trips of employees to more than 20 countries all over the world are held at NMU. As well, 7-10 students of NMU are sent for participation in scientific forums every year to 5-8 countries of the world.
IMPLEMENTATION OF ENGLISH SPEAKING STUDY
The important task for modern educational policy of NMU is the entry of education, acquired in Ukraine, to the market of world educational services, deepening the international cooperation, training of foreign specialists for foreign countries.
English speaking form of study for foreign students was launched at NMU in 2004. The implementation of this idea was preceded by thorough preparatory work, directed to provide with proper level in training of doctors-specialists and pharmacists. In order to improve the possession of English the department of foreign languages of NMU in 2003 organized the courses for scientific pedagogical workers of University. As a result, for eight years over 350 persons completed the courses; they all received the certificate, which certifies the high level in possession of English and the right to teach in groups of English speaking form of study.
Now the students of English speaking form of study at NMU are over 250 persons – they are the citizens of the USA, Sweden, Poland, Turkey, India, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Kuwait, Chad, Nigeria, Ghana and other countries all over the world. Teaching the academic disciplines in English is held under specialties “Medical care”, “Dentistry” and “Pharmacy”. The international relations department and the dean’s office on work with foreign students together with departments carry out the active preparation for implementation of training at postgraduate level – Masters and Resident Medical Practitioners.
Every semester the timetable for classes of students in English speaking form of study is translated into English taking into consideration the staff and material provision of departments. The students are timely provided with the timetable and information about the way to clinical departments of university. At the start of academic year the international relations department together with the dean’s office on WFS translates into English and issues the curriculum for students. Taking into account the available computer halls in NMU and personal computers at students, all who desire are free of charge provided with electronic versions of methodic guidelines in disciplines that are taught in the 1st-6th courses.
The international relations department carries out the methodic work with departments, controls the availability and quality of educational methodic literature, and encourages the publication of textbooks and study guides in English. So, during recent five years 182 textbooks and 547 study guides of the new generation were established at NMU for HMS of Ukraine in three languages – Ukrainian, English and Russian.
The work, directed to provide with high level of English speaking study, is constantly continued at NMU. The directions of this work are the control for fulfillment of provisions in regulatory documents, preparation and support of stable level of quality and quantity of professors teaching English speaking staff; curation of academic methodic work at departments, provision with material technical base of educational base in English, monitoring for success rate of students and coordination of actions for structural divisions of NMU, related to further implementation of English speaking study.
Today English speaking form of study is an excellent possibility to improve own scientific pedagogical level, to communicate with foreign colleagues for professors teaching staff of NMU, as well as, attracting the students from different corners of the world, it enables assisting to increase the level of medicine in those countries, which require it, and to encourage the exchange of important professional experience.
The international acknowledgement of O.O. Bogomolets NMU is the testimony for implementation of image policy in all spheres of activity, which develops the achieved level in representation of University to world community, provides with its perception as an educational establishment of the new formation, comprehensively reflecting all innovative changes, achievements and successes of University and its collective.
For that, the wide international activity is directed to position University as a leader in the market of educational and medical services within Ukraine and European scientific educational space; formation of positive innovative image of University: informing all target groups of foreign community about its mission, long term purposes, policy, programs and tasks; popularization of University brand at national, regional and international levels, use of internet network as an efficient information communication channel, development and accompaniment of the website of University, institutes, faculties, departments and other scientific divisions within the context for description of international activity in global information environment.
Among the most important results from comprehensive activity in the sphere of international acknowledgement of University and its famous scientists there was the election of rector, vice-president in NAMS of Ukraine, academician in NAMS of Ukraine professor Moskalenko V.F. at the 58th session of European regional committee of WHO that took place on 15-18, September, 2008 in Tbilisi, as the representative of Europe in Committee on policy and coordination of Special program for scientific researches, developments and training of scientific staff in the sphere of public reproduction.
The important steps in this direction of work are the conclusion and implementation of agreements about cooperation of NMU with leading scientific educational establishments in the world – Karolinska institute (Kingdom of Sweden), Oxford university (Great Britain), Humboldt University (Federative Republic of Germany), Aristoteles University in Thessalonica (Republic of Greece), la FEHAP – federation of health care establishments in France.
In 2003 the university became the co-founder of Interuniversity center of science and cooperation in Eastern and South Eastern Europe (Italy), which included 33 universities from 14 countries in European region. The geography of countries is enlarged and the number of contingent of foreign students that study at university grows.
LEGALIZATION OF DOCUMENTS ABOUT EDUCATION
The international relations department executes the documents about education to graduates from O.O. Bogomolets National medical university, being necessary for legalization abroad.
University prepares the following documents about education:
– Annex to diploma in Ukrainian and English language with the list of hours and marks in each discipline and production practice;
– Statement that confirms the study and issue of diploma, which mentions the years of entry and graduation from higher medical school (HMS), acquired specialization, series and number of diploma;
– Statement that confirms the study at internship and issue of certificate of specialist mentioning the years of study at internship, period for mural part of study at corresponding department of NMU, number of order about awarding the qualification of doctor or pharmacist due to the level of training specialist, master, number of certificate and name of acquired specialty;
– Answers for requests that come from the countries, where graduates from NMU study or work. The answers are executed only at personal appeal of a graduate or his/her authorized person.
RULES TO ORDER AND TO RECEIVE THE DOCUMENTS
A graduate or his/her authorized person shall personally appeal with the written request to the pro-rector in scientific pedagogical work, corresponding member in NAMS of Ukraine, professor Yavorovskyy O.P. (reception of visitors – every Tuesday since 15.00 until 18.00).
The period for execution of documents – 1 month.
The services are paid.
The documents about education are handed over personally to a graduate or his/her authorized person.
If the documents about education are handed over to the authorized person, the latter one shall have the following documents:
– original power of attorney, executed by a graduate for the authorized person, certified by notary, mentioning that the authorized person is entitled to receive the documents that concern the study of such graduate at the establishment;
– passport of citizen of Ukraine for the authorized person;
– passport of citizen of Ukraine for a graduate.
Sample for request to receive the documents about education of graduate
To the fist pro-rector in scientific pedagogical work
At O.O. Bogomolets National medical university
Professor Tsekhmister Ya.V.
surname, name and patronymic name of
graduate or his/her authorized person
address of residence
In connection with legalization in ___________ (name of country) of documents about education, please, execute the following documents (number of copies):
to a graduate (year of graduation, faculty, surname, name, patronymic name in Ukrainian and English).
I knew the rules to order and to receive the documents.